Backpiece ears

Bryce

Re: Backpiece ears

Post by Bryce » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:08 am

G'day R,
I agree with Rob, that it is an officer's sword. As to the maker, if it isn't marked it is impossible to say who made it. Many different makers made swords with virtually identical design features and also there was a lot of variation between swords made by the same maker. You can have a look at the blade ricasso behind the langets. If you see a G stamp, we can say it was probably made by Osborn.

Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RGJDEE

Post by RGJDEE » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Bryce thanks for your reply,so definitely an Officers. Un marked and no embellishments to the blade, possibly an ‘Undress/fighting’ sabre
The facets on the grip, possibly Osborn ?
R.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 am

I have seen one or two 1796 LC type swords with clip point blade. Here is a painting showing a clip point blade.
King George III and the Prince of Wales reviewing the 3rd (or The Prince of Wales') Regiment of Dragoon Guards and the 10th (or The Prince of Wales' Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, c. 1797
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:48 am

No backpiece ears or any indication of maker but a good example of a clip point blade.

Chris

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:52 am

G'day Chris,
I just rediscovered this post. I would say this sword is almost certainly by Prosser. The scabbard and hilt both look "Prosser" and he was known to produce this particular blade type. Here is an attack-hilted sword with a similar blade from the Royal Collection Trust, supplied by Prosser in 1815.
Cheers,
Bryce