P1882 Cavalry Sabre/unit markings assistance requested

RGJDEE

P1882 Cavalry Sabre/unit markings assistance requested

Post by RGJDEE » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi, I just aquired this Sabre which has various
Marks on Hilt bowl, ricasso and blackstrap.
The bowl has what I believe to be two unit markings. 4 D G and beneath these Y over H with some ‘rack’ numbers.
I presume they are 4 th Dragoon Guards and Yorkshire Hussars ( Yeoman Cavalry) the Ricasso is also stamped Y C. I would welcome any comments confirming or denying my theory!and any further information to be revealed by the Stamps to the piece.
Would also welcome any suggestions for removing some of the black pitting stains to the Steelwork. Thanks in advance,
Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Re: P1882 Cavalry Sabre/unit markings assistance requested

Post by Will » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:32 am

I believe you have read the markings correctly. The sword has been heavily cleaned and what is left is the remaining deep pitting. You can try muriatic acid and a stainless wire brush. Mix the acid about 50/50 with water or stronger and work with the brush then rinse with water. This may remove some of it. The other way is to take the metal down until the pits are gone. I may be best just to leave the sword as is.

RGJDEE

Post by RGJDEE » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:05 am

Thanks for your reply,wouldn’t want to start
anything abrasive on it, in which case will take your advice and it will stay as is.
Many thanks again, Richard

Will

Post by Will » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:34 pm

The 1882p and 1885p are very similar except for the minor difference in guard shape. The blade length for the 1882p should be 33 inches as the longer version had stopped being used being too weak. Original 1882p scabbards have two loose rings on one side and the 1885p two opposing fixed rings.