Nicholson: How an Angry Irishman became the Hero of Delhi

JordanPL

Nicholson: How an Angry Irishman became the Hero of Delhi

Post by JordanPL » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:12 pm

I thought I would give you gentleman and ladies a heads up on a new biography on John Nicholson.

Funnily enough there are now two biographies on Nicholson that were both published late last year. These are the first extensive biographies on Nicholson since before the Second World War and certainly the most complete since Trotter's biography from 1897.I first purchased the one written by Stuart Flinders, 'Cult of a Dark Hero' and was very much looking forward to reading it, only to realise that there was another written by Prof. Donal P. McCracken, 'Nicholson: How an Angry Irishman became the Hero of Delhi'.

I decided to start with McCracken's book and was most impressed that it included two unpublished photos of Nicholson sourced from his direct descendants. That was definitely a breath of fresh air, particularly after seeing the same photos of Nicholson again and again. My impression was that McCraken's research was incredibly extensive and I would go as far as to say, impeccable. He provides a very balanced view of Nicholson and I would highly recommend his book.

In order to give both authors a fair chance I have just started reading the other biography and although only half of the way through, Flinders appears to portray a very different view of Nicholson, one which I am having some trouble to digest.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but as it stands I would recommend McCracken's book.

Richard

Re: Nicholson: How an Angry Irishman became the Hero of Delhi

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:53 am

Thank you for the review Jordan. A most colourful soldier most famous for his exploits in the Indian mutiny. As it happens I am in Delhi at the moment. I understand there is a statue of him there, I will try to find.
Richard

JordanPL

Post by JordanPL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am

Even better Richard is to visit the Nicholson Cemetery, honestly it is the most surreal place, in that it like a piece of tranquility in the chaos of Delhi. It's a walled cemetery and very near the Kashmiri Gate. There is a family that lives there and maintains it to the best of their ability and you can visit anytime. I would highly, highly recommend it and to see Nicholson's grave is inspiring (maybe not to all but to me it is).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Nicho ... 77.2246808

JordanPL

Post by JordanPL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 am

Here are a couple of photos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.