Special Order Sword to the 7th (Queen's Own) Hussars

John Sheard

Special Order Sword to the 7th (Queen's Own) Hussars

Post by John Sheard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Still on the track of 7th Hussars Special Pattern Swords, I thought this one might be of interest. Once part of the Geoff Worrall Collection and purchased by him in 1978 for the princely sum of £95, his research showed it likely to have been the sword of Major Babington of the 7th Hussars. It has a 35 1/2inch slightly curved, spear pointed blade by Hamburger, Rogers and Co. with brass proof surrounded by 8 floral leaves. The half basket solid bowl guard (and quillon) is very much like that of the 1821 Heavy Cavalry Trooper's Pattern but with the outside engraved with lines in imitation of the 1821 Light Cavalry Officer's Three Bar Pattern. Likely a special order purchased for active duty prior to his service in India in 1859. Interesting to note that the History of the 7th Hussars, page 38, records that Babington served under Major James Hagart in 1851 (see reference to Hagart in Richard Dellar's Book).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Sheard

Re: Special Order Sword to the 7th (Queen's Own) Hussars

Post by John Sheard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Additional photographs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 am

Hi John
Interesting sword and in very good condition, thanks for posting. I think yet another example of officers in India ordering custom made swords which best suited them.
Richard

Gordon K. Byrne

Post by Gordon K. Byrne » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:18 am

Hi John,

Proof mark cartouche and proof mark indicative of manufacture by Reeves.

Gordon

John Sheard

Post by John Sheard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks Gordon, I had been puzzled about the maker. I thought perhaps Reeves but had not seen the decoration around the disc before (other than those recorded to Manton).

Matt Easton

Post by Matt Easton » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Great sword! I agree probably Reeves.
Matt Easton
Easton Antique Arms - http://www.antique-swords.co.uk
Schola Gladiatoria
Chiswick Auctions