Recently sold early sword by Gill.

mark cloke

Recently sold early sword by Gill.

Post by mark cloke » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know who bought the Gill '1788' style sword in the recent Anthony Cribb auction. Lot 101.
https://bid.antonycribb.com/m/lot-detai ... 3Fpage%3D2
...or can pass my details on to them. The scabbard inscription makes it the earliest known Gill sword (before 1783) and I mentioned it in my article, but nobody knew where it was. Unfortunately I missed the auction.

paulwillcocks

Re: Recently sold early sword by Gill.

Post by paulwillcocks » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:29 pm

I dont know his name but I saw him leaving the auction with 2 swords (the other was a mameluke). He had 2 huskies and he had been talking to Christine (wife of Russell Milne) for some time. You could try asking Russell if Christine remembers his name ? BTW I looked at the sword a couple of times and whilst the blade was very good, I was not too sure about the inscription on the hilt, the crude Gill naming on the top mount and the fact that the pommel had chunks out of it and had been filled.

Juan J. Perez

Re: Recently sold early sword by Gill.

Post by Juan J. Perez » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 am

Regarding the pictures, I hate seeing supposed professionals holding antique swords (or any metal-made antique for that matter) with bare hands. Is it so difficult to use some cotton gloves?

I know that Mr Oakeshott used to avoid gloves, but well, he was one of a kind...