Fakes

Richard

Re: Fakes

Post by Richard » Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 am

Here's one of the most stupid fakes I have ever seen : someone had taken an inscription plate relating to Sir John Moore (probably) from a wooden case, screwed it to the scabbard of a sword and was trying to sell it as Moore's sword ....
Moore 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Wed May 01, 2019 4:10 pm

This is a copy of an 1814 Household Cavalry Officers Sword (soon to be reclassified) which sold at auction recently. The construction of the hilt is all wrong but the auctioneer told a friend of mine that it was definitely right. It sold for £2600 !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Post by Will » Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 pm

http://www.kultofathena.com/images/USS104_9_l.jpg
Something along these lines? I do not understand why auctioneers when knowingly defrauding customers can do this for the little money they receive vs the bad publicity. Auctioneers warranties are iron clad as they refuse to be held responsible except for the title description put on the item.
Letting the buyer decide what is authentic when the truth is known is fraudulent and immoral.

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Wed May 01, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes Will, very similar. That means there are two examples of this sword being made which is quite worrying.
If you want a genuine example there is one coming up in Bonhamsnext Sale on the 23rd May.

George Woodruff

Post by George Woodruff » Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 pm

Another fake by the deceased Etcher

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:00 am

Just spotted this on ebay: an artificially aged repro 1796 HC trooper's sword. One of the most common fakes found - giveways are the 'laminated' langets, very badly etched Runkel name on back edge of blade, poor inspection stamps on blade and equally badly stamped Osborn and Gunby on scabbard. But most tellingly if anyone has ever actually held one in the hand, then the sword is completely unbalanced. But I'm sure it will fool some ....

Jonathan Hopkins

Post by Jonathan Hopkins » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:00 pm

This upcoming auction has a number of artificially aged replicas (and some antiques with spurious inscriptions): https://sofedesignauctions.com/searchre ... ct=current

Lot 20 is a modern Indian replica of a Victorian era Highland officer's basket hilt, lots 146 and 147 are artificially aged replicas of American naval cutlasses from the Civil War, lot 349 is an artificially aged replica 1796 HC trooper's sword, lot 407 is another of the same type, lot 412 is another Indian replica of a basket hilt, lot 627 looks suspiciously like the sword from Braveheart (but I won't pretend to know much about early Scottish swords). I'm sure there are more that I'm missing. This auction seems to have as many replicas passing for antiques as eBay or a small auction house without an antique arms expert.

EDIT: I just realized this auction has ended! I wonder if the "current price" indicates the final selling prices?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:11 pm

G'day Jonathan,
I highlighted this auction in the "Auction Alert" thread. There was a curious mix of fakes and really good stuff. I think the "current price" does represent the final hammer price.
Cheers,
Bryce

Will

Post by Will » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:10 am

Mixing authentic with fakes is a common way to give authenticity to unauthentic swords and other items. Claiming they are selling for consignors is another scam to deflect responsibility from themselves.
I find it common that new collectors are adverse to buying good sword reference books only because of cost. They need to be educated to realize that reference books are one of the best ways to be certain and bad buys do not happen to them. They can loose far more money with one bad buy.

Jonathan Hopkins

Post by Jonathan Hopkins » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:11 pm
G'day Jonathan,
I highlighted this auction in the "Auction Alert" thread. There was a curious mix of fakes and really good stuff. I think the "current price" does represent the final hammer price.
Cheers,
Bryce
Sorry, I missed that post!