Fakes

Jonathan Hopkins

Re: Fakes

Post by Jonathan Hopkins » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Will wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:10 am
Mixing authentic with fakes is a common way to give authenticity to unauthentic swords and other items. Claiming they are selling for consignors is another scam to deflect responsibility from themselves.
I find it common that new collectors are adverse to buying good sword reference books only because of cost. They need to be educated to realize that reference books are one of the best ways to be certain and bad buys do not happen to them. They can loose far more money with one bad buy.
Yes, buy now and ask on a forum or facebook later seems to be the way with a lot of new collectors. I suppose that is one way to learn, but more expensive in the long run than buying a few books.

Will

Post by Will » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:16 pm

We all know how accurate people online can be with only particular photos to access the item. Best to get the reference books and learn. Having the sword in hand tells more than a photo can ever do. I find digital photos though clear and highly detailed can make a sword appear not as it truly is.
Colour and fine details can be over amplified making a minor scratch appear as a major fault and vice versa.
I did get a nice revolver at a good price at auction, virtually mint finish because photos and flash made it appear to have lost finish on its high spots.

Will

Post by Will » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:07 pm

A surprising number of copies, some more accurate than others.https://www.amazon.com/stores/ArmorVenu ... B4BA437B0A

Will

Post by Will » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:17 pm

You can still see the buffing compound on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Venue-Brit ... B07HHDCFZD
Thrown outside and corroded then cleaned up could fool novice collectors. Grip is wrong but I have not seen pipe backed blades copied before.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm

G'day Guys,
Those 1796 heavy cavalry trooper sword repro's have Osborn and Co, Birmingham stamped on the scabbard. I have often wondered where this came from as I have never seen a sword stamped Osborn and Co, only ever Osborn and Gunby. Has anyone come across Osborn and Co. on an authentic sword?
Cheers,
Bryce

Will

Post by Will » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:47 am

These European copies are turning up on "the ?bay" entitled "Rare Antique Polish Officer Sword Sabre Napoleonic Napoleon Poland By Collette?"
Mix authentic with copies and sell as authentic then it's a Fake! Also reminds me of the "Commander Barnes" sword, similar pommel possibly same maker.

Juan J. Perez

Post by Juan J. Perez » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 am

Looking to the pictures closely yes, it looks like a copy, but a very good one and made with great attention to details. The blade in particular looks particularly well done, good proportions, smooth and well-ended fullers, etc. Maybe the rough finish of the hilt, for such an otherwise high-end sword, is the most evident clue.

If I were a collector of British and French Napoleonic swords, I'd be a bit scared...

Ben Bevan

Post by Ben Bevan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:18 am

Yet another ‘Osborn & Co’ 1796 HC has just appeared on The Saleroom. I’ve emailed the Auctioneers, hopefully they’ll remove or re describe it!

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 pm

I’ve told them as well. Interesting to see if they take any action. If not, put them on the dodgy list.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:04 pm

This is the place where I bought the 15LD attack hilt. Really, they are clueless about swords.