Auction alert

Richard

Auction alert

Post by Richard » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 am

A plug for Tony Cribb's next sale coming up on 26th March 2019:

The stars of this auction will be the weapons (musket, swords etc.) and other artefacts that belonged to the Tipoo Sultan and which were given to Major Hart of the East India Company after the fall of Seringapatam in 1799 (Fourth Anglo-Mysore war). I have seen these items and they are truly amazing. However, for British sword enthusiasts there are also many other interesting Georgian and other swords also in the sale including a pre 1788 Inniskilling Dragoons sword, a Geogian 'attack-hilt' sabre, a presentation mameluke to Major Brabazon Disney of the 23rd Light Dragoons (who fought and was wounded at Waterloo), a couple of nice Indian army swords and several others.

This sale should attract a lot of interest.

Richard

paulwillcocks

Re: Auction alert

Post by paulwillcocks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 pm

I too had the opportunity to view Tony's latest assemblage last Friday. He has a great selection to suit all pockets. He says he has bombarded ever since he put the T.Sultan stuff on-line. The Inniskilling Dragoons sword is very interesting - if you are bidding I would recommend that you view it - it has an engraved address lozenge on the top mount GILL 92 Dale End. The Disney sword also very interesting but dates to some time after Waterloo. Richard - do you have a previous relationship with this one ?

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:09 pm

The amazing thing about the Tipoo Sultan stuff is that the descendant family of Hart apparently took it around several auction houses who weren’t interested and told them it was only worth a few hundred pounds!
Richard
PS, yes the Disney sword is mine. It dates from around 1825. He was a major at that time but not with the 23LD. I am guessing that it was given by someone who knew Disney when he was with the 23LD but used his correct rank at the time of presentation. I had the inscription checked by a very experienced craftsman (who is no longer with us) and he thought it genuine.

paulwillcocks

Post by paulwillcocks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Good pedigree then ! Ex-Dellar collection must command a premium

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:08 am

Going back to the subject of Seringapatam, here's a nice 19th Lancers mameluke and sabretache from Tony Cribb's last sale in November 2018. The sabretache has the hand-written name J Hammersley and date 1819 inside. John Hammersley served with the 19th from 1812 to 1821 and it might be presumed that the sword is also his. Both sword and sabretache have battle honours to Assaye (awarded 1807) and Seingapatam (awarded 1818).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob O'Reilly

Post by Rob O'Reilly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Richard,

Just getting around to looking at the swords in the Cribb sale, while picking my jaw off the table.

One sword stood out as I hunt for the owner of my O&G clipped-back. It is a 1796 LC officers sword, attributed to the Loyal Dudley Cavalry. What struck me were the 3 initials on the blade I would have taken for owner's initials, in that the appear in a similar fashion to my sword.

Is it common to find regimental markings appear as such?

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Rob
Yes, it is fairly common to see regimental or unit designations in cursive script similar to owner's initials but only, I think, on yeomanry and volunteer swords. Regular army regimental marking is usually accompanied by the regimental badge and is unmistakeable. As far the sword you illustrate goes (which I used to own), obviously there can be no mistake there since the owner's name appears on the back edge of the blade. However, it is the case that one should be wary when looking at yeomanry swords - below is another example marked 'BLD' which in this case signifies Berwickshire Light Dragoons. So watch out for initials that end in 'LD', 'VC' or similar ...
Richard

Will

Post by Will » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Old news but interesting Tipu Sultan sword with interesting ownership markings.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... on-UK.html

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Press over sensationalisation I’m afraid. Although the publicity was good, Tony had to warn the owners not to expect ‘millions’.

Will

Post by Will » Fri May 03, 2019 4:04 am