1796 LC swords with additional side bars

Richard

Re: 1796 LC swords with additional side bars

Post by Richard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 am

Hi Will
I'm not quite sure I understand the question? But, I certainly think there was a need for additional hand protection. Writing of his experiences at Waterloo, Captain Brabazon Disney of the 23rd Light Dragoons recounted:

‘… in the first charge I had a sword without a guard and was cut over both my hands, but not badly, only what you would call severe cuts

A somewhat contradictory statement but, assuming that he was carrying the standard 1796 pattern, I think it illustrates the vulnerability of swords with just a single knucklebow.

Richard

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:06 pm

As he says “ in the first charge “ does this mean he was in further charges with a different sword ? And does “ without a guard “ mean he was carrying a Mameluke hilted sword ?

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Chris

He was in a second charge but he doesn't mention his sword this time:

'In the second [charge], my bay horse which I rode throughout the action was cut over the head with a sabre, and I likewise received a slight cut on the arm, and a grape-shot passed through my overalls and wounded me in the groin very slightly, and I had a musket ball through my cap, so that I had some hair-breadth escapes …’

I had assumed that a 'sword without a guard' meant just a single knucklebow rather than what these day we call a basket guard but who knows ....

Richard

Will

Post by Will » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Richard were cavalry wearing leather or leather with chainmail gloves in the past or was this in the too distant past? I can see that severe hand cuts would disable permanently if stuck directly, or are these cuts usually from the opponents blade contacting their blade and the blade then sliding down to the hand and cutting it?

Jim McDougall

Post by Jim McDougall » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 am

These examples of side bars on M1796 sabres are fascinating, and surely seem precursors to the hilts of 1821 (1829). Also in the mention of the comma type ears (I am strictly using memory here) wasnt this some sort of peculiarity to one maker on the 1796's ....I thought maybe Osborn? I always thought the M1796 light cav intriguing for the variants and such nuanced features.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 am

G'day Guys,

Here is a lovely example by Osborn and Gunby in the Greenwich Royal Museum. The sword was presented to Captain William Rogers by Osborn and Gunby in recognition of his gallant conduct on board HM Packet Windsor Castle in October 1807 when he captured a French Privateer.

Cheers,

Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 am

I forgot this one ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 am

And a beautiful example it is.
Cheers,
Bryce