New regulations in France for collectors

Richard

New regulations in France for collectors

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Just out of interest, from 1 February 2019, new regulations have been introduced in France in respect of collecting antique weapons which require collectors to have a 'Collector's Card'. Here is a google translate of the bulletin I have received:

The collector card
Wanted by parliamentarians with the 2012 law, it has been in effect since February 1, 2019.
The card is reserved for collectors who justify "a real interest in the collection" and who "have been made aware of the rules of security in the field of weapons. ". The UFA and the FPVA issue the certificate that allows the application of the card to his prefecture.
The card allows the acquisition of category C weapons and the justification of their transport. But it does not allow the acquisition of active ammunition nor sports activities of shooter or hunter. You have to choose to collect or use.

Personally this seems to me quite a good idea, I wonder if it will catch on over here and elsewhere.

Richard

PS, before anyone asks, I am not exactly sure what a 'Category C' weapon is

Chris A

Re: New regulations in France for collectors

Post by Chris A » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:47 pm

I believe there are also new regulations coming into law in the U.K. regarding sending blades through the post.

brian wolfe

Post by brian wolfe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 pm

I think Matt Easton is up on these regulations in the UK, I hope he will re-register and enlighten us.
Regards
Brian

Will

Post by Will » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm glad that Canada does not have the restrictive legislation that other countries have regarding edged weapons and firearms. We view our current level as somewhat intrusive, however a few years ago the reversal of registering long guns succeeded. Unfortunate ownership of these things are made political.
I just had a package containing an antique sword being shipped from the UK returned to sender by UPS, never left the UK. Resent by DHL without issue.
UPS said it was against their policy, but held it for a week and charged me fees and customs. It was my inquiry that resulted in knowing of the problem. UPS would not refund my payment until the sender received it.

Juan J. Perez

Post by Juan J. Perez » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:02 pm

Hello to the Forum, nice to be here again after the 'crash'...

From the new European Weapons Directive, May 2017:

'Category C — Firearms and weapons subject to declaration

1. Repeating long firearms other than those listed in point 7 of category B.
2. Long firearms with single-shot rifled barrels.
3. Semi-automatic long firearms other than those listed in category A or B.
4. Single-shot short firearms with rimfire percussion whose overall length is not less than 28 cm.
5. Any firearm in this category that has been converted to firing blanks, irritants, other active substances or pyrotechnic rounds or into a salute or acoustic weapon.
6. Firearms classified in category A or B or this category that have been deactivated in accordance with Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/2403.
7. Single-shot long firearms with smooth-bore barrels placed on the market on or after 14 September 2018.’;

So this category deals with, let's say, low-concern long firearms. Needless to say that in the most restrictive countries, with little respect to their citizens, like unfortunately Spain, ownership of such firearms requires a proper licence, not a simple declaration.

Did you say that in Canada you don't have to register a long firearm?? How lucky you are.

Will

Post by Will » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:49 am

Juan that's correct we do not register long arms in Canada. Restricted firearms are registered such as handguns and AR type carbines, a long list.
We do require a forearms license which you must show to purchase any firearm. No restrictions on swords, knives only the switch blade types and gravity knives such as the WW2 German one. For a full list of firearms and regulations: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/index-eng.htm

Juan J. Perez

Post by Juan J. Perez » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Thanks, Will. Not an ideal situation but far better than Spanish one, regarding firearms. However, about edged weapons I think that we are more or less in the same situation.

Best,
JJ

David Peters

Post by David Peters » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 pm

I have several friends in France who are sword collectors, I will ask if it applies to them.
If introduced in the UK it would mean that the “ authorities” would have a record of who you are, where you live and what you collect. On your death HM Customs & Revenue could then ensure that your collection is included in the value of your estate.
Sorry, just the way my mind works.
David

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:58 am

Good point David!