Offensive Weapons Act 2019 - home delivery implications

Jerry

Offensive Weapons Act 2019 - home delivery implications

Post by Jerry » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm

In May 2019 he Offensive Weapons Act 2019 became law in the UK, and it has specific implications for the carriage of bladed weapons.

I believe this issue may have been raised on this Forum last year when the Bill was in process, but I can't find it.

The following is now an offence:
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.09.52.png
Defence allows for sporting purposes or re-enactment, antiques however are not exempted, despite submissions during the passage of the bill.

There are is also a defence if delivery to an over-18 is ensured, but this is tightly circumscribed with conditions.

- Purchaser verified as 18+ (likely to require prior ID check such as passport or driving licence copy).
- Package clearly marked as containing bladed article and can only be delivered to a person of 18+.

Links here:
The Act in full
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... ts/enacted
Draft guidance
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... dance_.pdf

A quick look around auction houses and dealers suggests awareness and/or interpretation of the new law is patchy and varied. seems likely there will be implications for UK collectors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Re: Offensive Weapons Act 2019 - home delivery implications

Post by Will » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 pm

I've had issues with some major carriers who will not take weapons of any kind though it is their policy and not mandated by laws.
We are seeing politics block more and more everyday things we do, sad really.

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 am

Thank you Jerry for summarising this situation. Like the ivory ban which was supposed to come into force in September, it seems that everything is a little in limbo at the moment. I'm afraid there's only one topic consuming government and the civil service at the moment (and we all know what that is).

As regards this legislation, it does seem beyond belief that weapons purchased for re-enactment purposes are exempt but antiques are not. On the positive side though, maybe this will give a boost to arms fairs which have been in decline since the advent of the internet.

Richard

Will

Post by Will » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Can this mean many important swords may never be able to return to the UK? Over decades many have left your shores.
I wonder if this will devalue swords overseas or make them rise? I find British swords in Canada sell for considerably less than in the UK.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Will - difficult to see how this might pan out in future. At the moment the response among dealers and auction houses is patchy. One dealer stated no postal delivery of swords now possible, collection only. Another required photo ID but no further action. Others have no mention at all. The delivery companies may react by simply not accepting these items at all, especially considering the explicit labelling required on the outside of the package.

To your point on overseas delivery to UK, this is another layer of complication. Once a package reaches the UK, the UK end of the service becomes responsible for compliance with UK regulations. Again, companies might either simply prohibit carriage of these items, or charge a significant premium for the legal compliance aspects. Difficult to say at the moment.

Richard - not sure of the status of the ivory ban, but this Act now has force of law as of May this year. It's now down to interpretation by sellers, delivery companies, and law enforcement. Regarding the lack of an antiques exemption, I fired off emails to various auction houses and antiques trade bodies at the time the bill was in consultation. Bonhams and Thomas del Mar I know definitely acted on this with submissions to parliament, not sure about other bodies. For whatever reason the request to include antiques was not taken up.

Will

Post by Will » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:30 pm

The law seems to be aimed at certain foreign customs of attack (acid) which has nothing to do with collecting and selling antique edged weapons.
I just saw a band sword that recently sold online, the UK seller refused to send to an Arabic country and the sword is relisted.
I'm not so sure that Canadian laws will be altered to fit growing crime due to mass immigration.
Let's hope that cooler heads prevail.

Matt Easton

Post by Matt Easton » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 am

There are no problems with the new law. You just have to age check (ask for copy of passport or driving licence) then label the box as over 18 only due to containing blades. This is all that's being asked for and I have now received a pile of swords from various sources this way (as well as having posted lots out). There are no problems importing either - they just age check on delivery. Parcelforce are introducing a new age-verified delivery service to make it all simpler as well.
So basically, no problem. Just a little more admin.
Matt Easton
Easton Antique Arms - http://www.antique-swords.co.uk
Schola Gladiatoria - http://www.fioredeiliberi.org

Matt Easton

Post by Matt Easton » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:28 am

Also note, this law ONLY applies to residential addresses. If you deliver to a business address then that's outside the scope of the new law.
Matt Easton
Easton Antique Arms - http://www.antique-swords.co.uk
Schola Gladiatoria - http://www.fioredeiliberi.org

Will

Post by Will » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:11 am

Thanks Matt that's good to know.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 am

Parcel force specifically prohibit bladed items, this extract from their list of prohibited items.

Not sure about other carriers at present.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.