Companion Volume to The British Cavalry Sword

Rob O'Reilly

Re: Companion Volume to The British Cavalry Sword

Post by Rob O'Reilly » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:35 pm

more pics.

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 am

G'day Rob,

Fantastic sword. Thank you for posting the extra photos. I am more than a little jealous. Is there any chance of investigating further the mark low on the ricasso I have circled in the photo below? Sometimes I have found G stamps partly covered by the guard.
Also, any chance of a photo of the G stamp on your O&G sabre?
Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob O'Reilly

Post by Rob O'Reilly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Bryce,

You have a very keen eye. I examined it further and can find not definitive evidence that the mark extends under the guard, as the assembly is quite tight. That being said I have to say it has the right curvature for a G, albeit it incomplete. I've taken a couple of further pictures and tried playing with the exposure and contrast. You be the judge!

I've added a couple of pictures of the O&G LC variant in the other thread. You'll see the single G on both sides of the blade.

Rob

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks Rob,
As you say it isn't definitive. It certainly looks as if it could be an incomplete G.
Any luck with the initials RDG? Does the engraving of the cavalry officer give any clues to the regiment? I like that he seems to be brandishing this exact sword.
Cheers,
Bryce

Rob O'Reilly

Post by Rob O'Reilly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Bryce,

No luck yet on the officer...Lots of RGs, but none so far that I can confirm had a D middle initial.

Yes, the mounted officer with the straight clipped blade is rather unique to my eye. As had been pointed out by Richard you most often see a curved blade on such engravings, whereas this has a straight blade and clearly a basket hilt.

Rob

Will

Post by Will » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 am

Hi Rob would you bring this sword to the Ottawa show if only to display?