Got in posession of some British officers swords

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Got in posession of some British officers swords

Postby Frederik Bral » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

Hi there,

New to the forum, never really looked at swords much,

But a few days ago I got in posession of some antique swords,

I'm from Belgium, and I shoot guns for sport and fun (all legal off course), now I got to buy a special pistol from a lady who was a widow, and the gun belonged to her departed husband, and suddenly she started talking about also having some swords, and she gave them to me, there was also a dagger from a german wehrmacht officer, but it's about the swords now offcourse,

I googled and searched some, and found a bit of info about them, but wanted to ask you guys from this forum, probably you know more about these than I can find on the internet,

These are the swords:

Sword 1: what I have found is that it's a Victorian sword, but it has nu maker of retailer on it, and no serial number, it does have a "proved T." Disk

Sword 2: royal artillery sword, but again no maker or retailer and no serial number but has a disk with just "proved" on it

Sword 3: retailer Hawkes Picadilly london, serial number 6834, Edward VII as royal crest, so dates between 1902 and 1910

Sword 4: last but not least, a Henry Wilkinson Pall mall london marked artillery sword, "HW" marked prove disk, Royal artillery marked, with "Honi soit qui mal y pense" crest on the blade, serial number 51867

So what do you guys think about these? Anyone have more info on any of them?

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, I know it's a lot, but these sabers peaked my interest.
Frederik Bral

Re: Got in posession of some British officers swords

Postby Bryce » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:21 pm

G'day Frederik,

Welcome to the forum. Your swords are outside my area of expertise, so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me chimes in as well.

Unfortunately sword 1 appears to be a modern reproduction 1845 pattern infantry officer's sword. I think sword 2 may also be a modern reproduction, this time of an 1821 pattern royal artillery officer's sword. Sword 3 looks like a genuine 1897 pattern infantry officer's sword, made as you say between 1902 and 1910. Sword 4 looks like a genuine 1821 pattern royal artillery officer's sword made by Wilkinsons sometime between 1914 and 1917.

Cheers,

Bryce
Bryce

Postby Frederik Bral » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks for the help,

Kind of thought as much as the first 2 might be reproductions by lack of a maker/retailer and serial number,

But hey, 2 out of 4 ain't bad, even more because I got them for free, and with the search for info about them, I learned a lot about swords, pretty nice,

Think I'll hang 'em on my wall, would look nice,

Like you said, hopefully there might be other members who know more and might share their knowledge, really interested in knowing some of the history on the 2 last swords, or maybe even the first, never know there's some interesting knowledge on them
Frederik Bral

Postby Bryce » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm

G'day Frederik,

It is a bit of a long shot, but it may be possible to find out the original owner of sword number 4. There is a man called Richard Milner at Arms Research https://www.armsresearch.co.uk/ who has the original Wilkinsons records with the details for each numbered sword. Unfortunately during WW1 the names of the owners were rarely recorded. For a small fee he may be able to give you more details about your sword.

Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce

Postby Frederik Bral » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tip,

I'll check it out ;)
Frederik Bral

Return to Antique Swords