Collectors showcase

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Re: Collectors showcase

Postby Bryce » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:56 pm

G'day Guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a list of Chatellerault Arsenal inspection stamps?
I know most ANXIII heavy cavalry swords are found in 1816 model scabbards as are mine. I don't know a lot about French swords, but have always struggled a little with the fact that the majority of ANXIII heavy cavalry swords come with 1816 scabbards, but most ANXI light cavalry sabres come with their original scabbards, when both models were superceded in 1816?

My 1812 dated ANXIII pictured above has the following stamps on the scabbard.

Cheers,

Bryce
Attachments
Drag Stamp.jpg
Drag Stamp
Rack Number.jpg
Rack Number
Hanging Ring Stamp.jpg
Hanging Ring Stamp
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:19 am

You guys who are lucky enough to have the second type of scabbard with the lyre-shaped drag, do they have any stamps on them to allow you to date them?

Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:38 am

Bryce
The An XIII example I posted above (which I no longer have) had a Klingenthal blade with Versailles hilt and scabbard. There were no stamps on the scabbard but from the various stamps on the blade, it can be accurately dated to 1809.
Richard
Attachments
120-2.jpg
120-2.jpg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 780 times
120-3.jpg
120-3.jpg (79.11 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Test (ignore everyone)
Richard

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 am

Nice collection Jerry is your AnXI light cavalry officers sabre 'à la chasseur' first Empire or Restoration ?. Here are all the markings on sword and scabbard.
Made assembled and inspected in Germany I believe as no Klingenthal or Versailles markings.
Attachments
P1040087.JPG
P1040086.JPG
P1040088.JPG
P1040089.JPG
P1030886.JPG
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sabre

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 am

Bryce wrote:G'day Guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a list of Chatellerault Arsenal inspection stamps?
I know most ANXIII heavy cavalry swords are found in 1816 model scabbards as are mine. I don't know a lot about French swords, but have always struggled a little with the fact that the majority of ANXIII heavy cavalry swords come with 1816 scabbards, but most ANXI light cavalry sabres come with their original scabbards, when both models were superceded in 1816?

My 1812 dated ANXIII pictured above has the following stamps on the scabbard.

Cheers,

Bryce

Chaterllerault inspector stamps Bryce look on top of the mouthpiece for stamps as they are normally marked there as well as scabbard bracelets and drags.
There are more Chaterllerault stamp marks in the Michael Petard book Des sabres et des épées volume 1 and 2.
Attachments
aaabbb.jpg
18149-GazettedesArmes-140-Page-041.jpg
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sabre

Postby Sabre » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:42 am

Bryce wrote:You guys who are lucky enough to have the second type of scabbard with the lyre-shaped drag, do they have any stamps on them to allow you to date them?

Cheers,
Bryce

Stampings on second type scabbard are on the drags like the model ANXI light cavalry sabre scabbards Bryce.
Some info and pic here you will have to zoom pic to see stampings.

https://basedescollections.musee-armee. ... 008/12786I

Mike
Sabre

Postby Jerry Cottrell » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Mike,

Interesting - Solingen was part of the Kingdom of Westphalia 1807-13, and presumably Solingen makers were obliged to produce swords for the Grande Armee - looks like this is one. Interesting that the manufacture details on the back of the blade are in French and in somewhat 'Klingenthal' style? Likely that French inspectors were sent to Solingen to oversee manufacture. No idea where to find information on these control marks though.

Regarding my An XI officer, I bought it years ago from a reputable French dealer who described it as First Empire. It is Solingen made, with S&K makers mark (Schnitzler & Kirschbaum). However this style of sabre carried on into the restoration period as you know, so it is difficult to be sure. S&K made swords/blades both under First Empire and well after. One clue I have from a French discussion board is the profile of the scabbard. If rounded, its restoration. If it has a flat back (as mine does) it is either first empire but could also be restoration up to around 1820. I may never know.

Jerry
Jerry Cottrell

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:15 am

Yes Jerry knew about the Westphalian connection wonder if it could have been issued to there cavalry / artillery regiments ?.

Mike
Attachments
west.jpg
Sabre

Postby Jerry Cottrell » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:57 am

Almost certainly I would have thought. Similar to the French model arms made at the Turin manufactury, destined for the Italian troops. There are many examples of these, but this is the first Solingen example of a French regulation model sabre I have seen.

Jerry
Jerry Cottrell

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 am

I have seen one more like mine but have seen quite a few with K S &C blades but with Versailles marked hilts.

Mike
Sabre

Previous

Return to Antique Swords