Unusual Basket Hilt

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Re: Unusual Basket Hilt

Postby Brimage » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 am

Hi Bryce

Have the day off work today so I am re-visiting some of the forums. I would suggest this basket is a special order based on the 1828 Pattern. There where a lot of variations just before and after this pattern was introduced. I have been keeping a data base and will have a look to see if I can find a similar blade. Can you post more pictures of the blade, its length and is it a back-sword? As for the sword being a marriage, most basket hilts are in one way or another as blades where often imported.

Cheers Cathey
Brimage

Postby Bryce » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 pm

G'day Cathey,

The blade is almost identical to a 1796 heavy cavalry trooper's blade that has been spear-pointed. It is a backsword that is 88cm long, 3.7cm wide at the ricasso and double-edged for the last 15cm. Whereas the last 15cm of a 1796 HC blade becomes very thin, this one is slightly beefier being about 2mm thick. It is a very heavy sword weighing almost 1.5kg.

Cheers,
Bryce
Attachments
642497943_o[1].jpg
Bryce

Postby Gordons Horse » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

H Bryce,

Regarding the hilt, and judging by the colour of the metal in the photos (which has a slight yellowish look rather than white like silver), it may be made of solid German Silver, braised onto the steel parts? This alloy was certainly used for hilts in the later 19th C, and used for pistol mounts, and sword scabbards in the 1840s, but have not studied it's possible use during your period of interest.

Gordon
Gordons Horse

Postby Bryce » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm

G'day Gordon,

I always thought that German Silver was a silver alloy. I have just discovered that it isn't silver at all. You may be right, the hilt could be made of German Silver.

Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce

Postby sword335 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 am

Bryce wrote:G'day Gordon,

I always thought that German Silver was a silver alloy. I have just discovered that it isn't silver at all. You may be right, the hilt could be made of German Silver.

Cheers,
Bryce

German silver is an alloy and would show the same colour in spite of polishing. i.e. You can't polish through to a brass colour. This has been plated at some time. Georgian close plating is usually on steel so I would think this is silver plating that is worn. As the hilt looks late 18th. Century I suspect it has been plated later, perhaps when the blade was fitted.

Chris.
sword335

Postby Will Mathieson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

I would think the steel section of the basket is a replacement when the brass weakened and broke. Rather than replace with the same weaker metal they used steel.
This may have been done in the later Victorian era and the silver plating too. Not uncommon for family swords to be used decades later.
Will Mathieson

Postby Gordons Horse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Bryce,

Regarding the sections of the guard that are not obviously steel?, can you tell if they a solid substance as in brass of German silver (high Nickel copper alloy), or have they been close plated as suggested by Chris?

At least one of your close-up photos shows three different colours, one being the steel, second is the coppery coloured braising alloy, and third the bars where one appears to have silvery layer rough at the edges from pealing?

The silvery coloured bars also show some abrasion marks, do any of these scratched areas show steel under the silver?

Gordon
Gordons Horse

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 am

Apologies everyone - I've made a mess of this post. When I split this to have discussion about the G stamp as a separate thread, I took out the original post that started this thread (I should have copied first, then split ....)
Richard
Richard

Return to Antique Swords