1803 Scabbard advice - floppy leather?

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

1803 Scabbard advice - floppy leather?

Postby S.J.White » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Greetings all,

I would welcome any advice on a Pattern 1803 scabbard that came to me with its sword, that is entirely floppy - the leather is completely soft and will not support the weight of the mounts in any measure. I have it laying flat somewhere and it will literally undulate and take the form of anything I lay it upon.

My question - is it possible to firm up this leather or to stiffen it with respect to care and preservation - or is this just one of those things and best left alone altogether?

Cheers, Simon.
S.J.White

Re: 1803 Scabbard advice - floppy leather?

Postby Will Mathieson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Do you believe the leather to be original or a replacement? With leather scabbards I always hold the sword vertical to unsheath and sheath the blade, otherwise the old leather may break. Handled and displayed carefully you should not have an issue with it.
I suppose a piece of thin wood or metal with the blades outline could keep the scabbard from bending.
Will Mathieson

Postby S.J.White » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:14 pm

The scabbard is most certainly the original - it is a very snug fit and can be slid onto the blade with care but it is fragile with a crack in the middle and the leather very soft. The fit is so firm there is no room to fit a wooden liner or shim of any kind inside it - this is why I seek advice as to whether it is possible by some method to harden the leather itself by other means. If not, I'll leave well enough alone and accept it for what it is ...
S.J.White

Postby Will Mathieson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:25 pm

I thought you could insert a piece of metal/wood inside the scabbard if displaying the sword out of scabbard.
This way any handling of the scabbard, the metal/wood insert would not allow it to bend and break.
Will Mathieson

Postby S.J.White » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 am

Ah yes, I see what you were getting at ... I think that would be quite possible, not a bad idea actually!
S.J.White

Return to Antique Swords