1796 Sabre marking

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

1796 Sabre marking

Postby rjones » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 pm

I managed to acquire the illustrated 1796 sabre (I hope !) recently for the sum of £310. However, I'm no expert on these weapons, and have a couple of queries relating to it.

Firstly, the sabre lacks the classical 'ears' to facilitate a securing rivet through the hilt. I'm aware that they did exist in this format, but is there any rationale behind this manufacturing variation, or was it just down to individual manufacturers ?

Secondly, the only marking anywhere on the sword or scabbard appears at the top of the scabbard and comprises of a just discernible shield outline with writing therein. It is impossible to make out the script, even under a magnifying glass, but the uppermost writing might well be a date, possibly 17 ? 9/4 (?).
I have attached an image of this marking, and am wondering whether this shield marking is consistent with any known manufacturer ?

rjones

Re: 1796 Sabre marking

Postby sword335 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Welcome.
Looks like a perfectly honest example of this sword. No obvious markings probably indicates that it was made for a Yeomanry regiment rather than the regular army.
Can't help with the shield mark but it looks like it would have had the maker's name in it. Someone else may recognise it.

Chris.
sword335

Postby Will Mathieson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Without the backstrap ears and having the makers shield this should be an officer 1796 LC sword. Are there any indications of blade etching? Some had them, some did not.
Will Mathieson

Postby rjones » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Thx for feedback so far.

The blade's in nice condition, but absolutely no trace of any etching.
rjones

Postby Bryce » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:02 pm

G'day rjones,

The blade of your sabre looks to be pattern welded. This combined with the smaller size and shape of the langets gives it a "German look", although the scabbard looks British. Unfortunately I can't make out the markings. A clearer photo may help. I would say it is likely your sabre was made in Germany, rather than Britain. Some British sword cutlers did import German blades, so this doesn't rule out its use by a British officer. Pattern welded blades are common on European swords of this period, but are much rarer on British swords.

The variation in these sabres is almost endless. Some hilts had "ears", some didn't and there were all sorts of different shaped langets produced. Individual manufacturers produced sabres both with and without "ears", so this feature isn't a reliable method of determing the maker.

The scabbard is an officer's scabbard and does look British. It looks as if the sword and scabbard have been together a long time, but this doesn't guarantee the scabbard is original to the sword.

Some better photos of the cartouche on the scabbard may help dentify the maker.

Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Here is a shield shaped Cartouche by Osborn.

Cheers,

Bryce
Attachments
b001522-1[1].jpg
b001522-1[1].jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 4430 times
Bryce

Postby rjones » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 am

Many thanks for the interesting feedback.

Unfortunately I don't think my camera is up to capturing the script inside the shield marking, as it's barely discernible to the naked eye.

I've now treated the sword with renaissance wax ready to display.
rjones

Return to Antique Swords