1796 Scottish Infantry Flank Officer Sword

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

1796 Scottish Infantry Flank Officer Sword

Postby Brimage » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 am

aDSC_8896.JPG
Hi Guys

Picked up this sword this week and was wondering if the combination of the moto on the balde and St Andrews Cross might help attribute the sword to a specific Scottish Regiment. The moto translates form NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT latin to NO ONE PROVOKES ME WITH IMPUNITY.

Nationality British
Date Circa 1803-1808
Maker/Retailer George Hunter of Edinburgh
Overall Length 31.5/8” (80.3 cm)
Blade length 27 ½” (70 cm)
Blade widest point 1 ½” (3.8 cm)
Hilt widest point 3 ¾” (9 cm)
Inside grip length 3 ¾” (9 cm)
Marks, etc. HUNTER Southbridge Edinburgh, WARRANTED, Under the Thistle banner reading “NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT”

Description
The highly curved blade has a single shallow fuller each side that runs from the hilt to within 6” of the tip. The left side of the sword blade is flamboyantly engraved “Hunter Southbridge Edinburgh” within scrolls. This side of the blade also has floral work, a stand of arms, a royal crown & thistle with Latin motto “NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT”. On the opposite side the blade is engraved with floral work, “Warranted” within a scroll along with George III crown & cypher, as well as a man holding a large cross St Andrew. Blade has staining overall, but no pitting. The blue is faint but the gold gilded engraving is crisp. Hilt “D” shape backstrap in highly embossed decorated brass with gilding still visible, as is the feral. The leather bound grip has brass twist wire wrapping in great condition, a small section of the grip toward the pommel is missing. No scabbard.

General Remarks
George Hunter at South Bridge 1803-1808, after this became George Hunter and Co

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Attachments
aDSC_8906.JPG
aDSC_8903.JPG
aDSC_8866.JPG
_UK Infantry c1803-8-Flank Officer's Scottish-Hunter.jpg
Brimage

Re: 1796 Scottish Infantry Flank Officer Sword

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am

Hi Cathey

Well absolutely no doubt that its Scottish! The crown over the thistle and motto is the badge of the Order of the Thistle. This badge + St Andrew with a Saltire were used in various combinations as regimental devices by several Scottish regiments including the 2nd Dragoons (as illustrated below), 1st Royal Scots, 21st Royal Scots Fusiliers, 42nd Royal Highlanders, 79th Cameron Highlanders, etc. etc. So, take your pick .... (if I had to guess - and it would definitely be a guess - I would say Royal Scots Fusiliers).

Richard
Attachments
LUDLOW_BLADE_L3.jpg
LUDLOW_BLADE_R3.jpg
Richard

Postby sword335 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:12 pm

The motto and badge are also used by various Scottish Militia and Volunteer regiments so you have a great choice !

Chris.
sword335

Postby Brimage » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:11 am

hi Guys

Had hoped to narrow it down more than this, thanks for the additional info though.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Brimage

Return to Antique Swords