New blade postage law (Offensive Weapons Bill)

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

New blade postage law (Offensive Weapons Bill)

Postby Matt Easton » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 am

Hi folks,
The draft wording of the new law has been released:
https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/20 ... ments.html

Basically it prohibits the postage of bladed items to residential addresses, but included 'defences', such as for sporting/reenactment equipment. It also seems to imply that blunt objects are not classed as blades! (a first in UK law)

However, shockingly, antiques are not even mentioned. I have been heavily involved with lobbying on this, mostly from the fencing perspective, but now I urge you to write to the Home Office on the matter of antiques.

Here is what I sent - they treat emails just as officially as physical letters (I have been a Whitehall civil servant for over 15 years myself):

To: public.enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Home Secretary,

Reading the text of the new UK Offensive Weapons Bill, I welcome the legal 'defences' for the postage of bladed items to residential addresses, which are legally used in sports and historical re-enactment.

However, I was shocked to see not a single mention of antiques!

The antique arms and armour trade, including through auction houses such as Christies, is worth tens of millions of pounds a year and is of immense historical and cultural significance.

Traditionally, in UK law, antique weapons have been explicitly and specifically exempted from nearly all Offensive Weapon legislation since 1988.

Please reassure the antiques trade that you will be including exemptions/defences for antiques?

​The antique trade is dependent upon home delivery and many businesses are at stake.

Regards,
Matt Easton

Re: New blade postage law (Offensive Weapons Bill)

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 am

Matt
Thank you for highlighting this issue. I have emailed my own MP and the Home Secretary.
Richard
Richard

Postby Will Mathieson » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

This is how the "anti's" nibble away at our rights, death from 1000 cuts. Best way to fight these bad bills is to show politicians how many votes they will lose if they vote the bill into law. Other than that, common sense and caring are not their concern and they rarely respond to it.
Good luck and I hope they respond positively.
Will Mathieson

Postby Matt Easton » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 am

The second reading of the Offensive Weapons Bill (2018) is tomorrow, so there is no time to lose.
Please read and sign this petition to request that antiques are exempted from the new legislation, as well as supporting the 'defences' already proposed for sporting, reenactment and custom blades.
https://www.change.org/p/sajid-javid-re ... -hobbyists
If you have 2 minutes, please either send this petition link to your local MP, or Home Secretary Sajid Javid ( sajid.javid.mp@parliament.uk ) or the Home Office ( public.enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk ), or even all three!
Of course, if you write a sentence or two to go with your message, it is likely to have more impact.
Thanks for your support - we have already got changes put into the new Bill - let's keep up the momentum!
Matt Easton

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 am

Come on everybody, this is very important ....
Richard

Postby JordanPL » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Agreed and done!
JordanPL

Postby Jonathan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:27 pm

I've emailed the Home Secretary and signed the Change.org petition.
Jonathan

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:13 pm

My MP - Wera Hobhouse, Lib Dem, Bath - has replied and agrees that antiques should be exempted. She has written to Home Secretary Sajid David on the subject. She’ll have my vote next time around ....
Richard
Richard

Postby Matt Easton » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Great! I've contacted my MP (Anne Milton) about 4 times over the last few years and never had anything more than a holding reply. :x
Matt Easton

Postby Jerry Cottrell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:33 pm

All

I think it is important to nail this bill concerning antique swords/blades delivery to residential addresses. If there is the slightest 'wiggle' room, the Royal Mail and all courier companies will simply refuse to carry them. As so many purchases are made remotely residential delivery is crucial.

There is a commons committee which will receive written submissions from interested parties until September. Its important they receive evidence concerning the antiques trade. Link below.

Have your say on the Offensive Weapons Bill. You can submit your views in writing to the House of Commons Public Bill Committee which is going to consider this Bill.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news ... pons-bill/

Jerry
Jerry Cottrell

Postby Matt Easton » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 am

The UK Government has responded to the petition ( https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/222776 ) and I copy their text here.

There is a lot to say about this response, but as I intend to draft a letter to the committee, I will save my opinions and responses for now and let you read and absorb it:
"This response was given on 18 July 2018

The Bill prevents knives which cause serious harm from being delivered to residential addresses but does not stop delivery of bladed items and knives to business premises or businesses run from home.

Read the response in full
Retailers online and offline are prohibited from selling knives to under 18s. Evidence from online test purchase operations conducted over the last decade, where online shopping has become increasingly common, shows that the majority of sampled online retailers failed to have effective age verification procedures in place. The failure rate for online test purchases of knives has not significantly improved over this period.

The Government has therefore sought to improve these outcomes by conducting a public consultation and introducing legislation that will place more stringent controls on online sellers of knives.

Following concerns expressed in the consultation, certain defences were introduced into the Bill that has been published. The prohibition on the delivery of knives to residential addresses is now limited to those knives that can cause serious injury. If ordered online these knives will need to be collected from a place where age verification can take place, either by the purchaser or their representative.

In respect of other bladed items and knives, the Bill provides a number of defences around the prohibition of delivery to a residential address. For example, deliveries to business premises, including where a business is run from home, would not be affected by the prohibition placed in the Bill on delivery to a residential address. Other items that would be exempt from the prohibition on delivery to a residential address would include encased razor blades; knives with a blade of less than 3 inches; knives that cannot cause serious injury, for example table knives; bladed products designed or manufactured to specifications from the buyer such as bespoke knives. There are also exemptions for bladed products that are used for sporting purposes, such as fencing swords and bladed products that would be used for re-enactment activities.

Home Office"
Matt Easton

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 am

That all sounds to be sensible stuff BUT nothing about an exemption for antiques which is bizarre given that there is an exemption for repros used for re-enacting purposes ....
Richard

Postby sword335 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Does this mean that if you say that an antique sword is to be used for re-enactment purposes it would be OK ?
sword335

Return to Antique Swords