Something different

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Something different

Postby Richard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:55 am

It took my fancy so I have just bought this at auction: Sgt Ewart capturing the Eagle of the French 45th regiment of the line at Waterloo:

It was in the charge I took the eagle off the enemy; he and I had a hard contest for it; he made a thrust at my groin I parried it off and cut him down through the head. After this a lancer came at me; I threw the lance off my right side, and cut him through the chin upwards through the teeth. Next, a foot soldier fired at me, then charged me with his bayonet, which I also had the good luck to parry, and I cut him down through the head; thus ended the contest’

Richard
Attachments
d17f8f31-bcdb-49a8-a6f2-a8f600b1cf95.jpg
Richard

Re: Something different

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:31 pm

But this is how it arrived - I should have known better .....
Attachments
P1040171.JPG
Richard

Postby Will Mathieson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:25 pm

It "was" a nice piece. I suppose they did not include a tube of glue? Packaged in a larger box with proper packing this type of damage would not occur.
How is their refund policy?
Will Mathieson

Postby Matt Easton » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

That is infuriating....
I bought a couple of mugs from John Lewis recently and they posted them with absolutely no packing materials. Needless to say, I received a box of rubble. I phoned up and shouted at them and they immediately dispatched another pair, which also turned up without being properly packed. Luckily, they miraculously survived.
Packing people just don't give a damn sometimes. I've received a number of swords where the points were not properly covered and they arrived sticking straight out of the box..... Lucky they didn't stab anyone on the way.
Matt Easton

Postby Will Mathieson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:02 am

I've always had good packing when shipping swords to me from the UK. Unfortunately the cost for one sword is 100 gbp and up. I learned never buy a lot of several items as you are charged per item though they make one trip and pack in one box. On that occasion I was able to get the cost down from 160 to 100 gbp for 4 kukris !!!
The cost of shipping does stop any impulse buying and only worth the cost when a good sword sells cheap or it's an expensive rarer sword.
Buying average swords for resale is out of the question with these packing and shipping rates.
Will Mathieson

Postby Richard » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:07 am

Matt Easton wrote:That is infuriating....
I bought a couple of mugs from John Lewis recently and they posted them with absolutely no packing materials. Needless to say, I received a box of rubble. I phoned up and shouted at them and they immediately dispatched another pair, which also turned up without being properly packed. Luckily, they miraculously survived.
Packing people just don't give a damn sometimes. I've received a number of swords where the points were not properly covered and they arrived sticking straight out of the box..... Lucky they didn't stab anyone on the way.

I agree Matt. This wasn't accidental damage - its sheer negligence. The packing was pathetic - just bubble wrap encased in cardboard, not even a box and no fragile sticker in sight ....

Richard
Richard

Postby Will Mathieson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Unfortunately once these are broken the value goes to zero. Is there insurance on the shipping?
Will Mathieson

Postby JordanPL » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:36 pm

A rather unsuccessful foray into a new collecting field unfortunately!

Was it in house packaging and if so you have to tell us the name of the auction house now :)
JordanPL

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:14 am

It was insured, thank goodness. The auction house was Bishop & Miller but the packing was sub-let to 'Auction Logistics from Mail Boxes etc', a service which seems to be automatically offered if you bid via the Saleroom.com. Mail Boxes etc. are a big company with franchises in most big towns and cities. Its pretty obvious what happened - Auction Logistics from Mail Boxes Etc. send along a couple of guys who probably have to pack 100s of lots in a short space of time, a case of get the job done but doesn't matter how you do it.
Richard

Postby JordanPL » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Not surprising really and amazed that it doesn't happen more often.

I always try and use anther option with regards courier although like you say, MBE seems to be the default courier for the-saleroom.com. Saying that I was quite surprised that MBE collected my Lot from Bosleys without any option for an alternative. It appears that (unless you make prior arrangements) you have no choice when it comes to Bosleys?
JordanPL

Postby sword335 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:20 pm

What’s more, I believe that Mailboxes have a minimum charge of £35.00 although they will no doubt be picking up items for a number of clients from one auction house. This might not be too bad on a half way decent sword but I have bought items that would fit in a small Jiffy bag and cost under £100.00 which are just uneconomical to buy now.

Chris.
sword335

Return to Antique Swords