Help dating/identifying French made Spanish sword

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Help dating/identifying French made Spanish sword

Postby TaylorW » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I was hoping you all could help me. I'm currently helping catalog and identify my local military museum's blades. We have some sort of sword made by (I believe) François Delacour and Backes, a French swordsmith but it also has the Coat of arms of Castile and León Spain. I was hoping one of you may be able to help me figure out the age of the sword and possibly some of its history. It's quite dull and has some inlay up to 1/2 way on the blade. Oddly the hinge has been welded on the bottom to keep it propped open and it also has the number 10 stamped into the hilt right below the blade. Any help is appreciated, thanks! Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/uV53r97
TaylorW

Re: Help dating/identifying French made Spanish sword

Postby Juan J. Perez » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 am

Hello,

Your sword is a M1851 for Spanish Infantry Officers. This is the first I see completely made in France. Most of them were of course completely made in Toledo, very few of them having Solingen-made blades and Toledo hilts. But a full-French one, is quite a surprise.

Nevertheless, Spanish officers were pretty much the same as the rest of European ones: they adopted whatever they fancied (and could pay for), more or less according to the regulation pattern.

Best,
JJ
Juan J. Perez

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 am

Dear Juan
Thanks for coming to the rescue on this one, I think it had everybody else foxed.
Richard
PS, and sorry about World Cup exit ....
Richard

Postby Juan J. Perez » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks Richard, but please don't worry too much about Spanish football... we have deserved it for sure! :roll:

Best,
Juan
Juan J. Perez

Postby TaylorW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks Juan! Everything I could find on this sword was just speculation but you seem to be correct. The museum will be very excited, thank you.
TaylorW

Return to Antique Swords