Variations of the 1853 Cavalry Sword

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Variations of the 1853 Cavalry Sword

Postby Brimage » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 am

Hi guys

I am working on an article for my local Heritage Arms Society of SA newsletter on the 1853 cavalry sword and have come across references to variations as mentioned in an article by Morgan that I do not have quality pictures of. I am hoping someone out there can help me out with pictures and any additional information on the following:

1853 Royal Horse Artillery issue stamped RHA above the quillion;

1853 straight quillon and other minor differences; several swords of this type are in the Royal Armouries collection;

1853 with flutings incised into the face of the hilt and flat topped pommel;

1853 with different sword knot position. Instead of the usual sword knot slot close to the pommel, a double slot has been made at the base of the guard in front of the grip above the cutting edge.

1853 variant, the scabbard bands have been removed and the shoe ground down, possibly to allow the fitting of a leather covering with frog attachment, so whether this was carried out by a Regimental armourer or a put forward as a prototype idea for official acceptance is uncertain. In addition to the scabbard alteration, the inner loop on the sword hilt has been cut away and a solid piece of metal neatly welded in and finished to the same shape;

1853 minor variant having the divisions between the bars continued as engraved lines "in Pattern 1821 fashion" and as the straight quillon examples, though in this instance the quillon is downturned. However, the quillon is still wider and the disc terminal smaller than in the standard pattern.

1853 made by Mole with a brass guard;

1853 modification to a standard Pattern 1853 sword occasionally encountered. The blade is shortened and sometimes the side loop is cut off as with this example.

This is proving an interesting exercise as until I recently re-read the Article from Classic Arms and Militaria by John Morgan, I had no idea so many variations to this patter existed.

Any Pattern 1853 pictures will be gratefully received.

Cheer Cathey
Brimage

Re: Variations of the 1853 Cavalry Sword

Postby Brimage » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 am

Further in relation to my request for pictures of variations, I am particularly looking for a better photo of an 1853 with the double sword knot slots at the base of the guard, this is the only picture I can find and its fairly grainy.

Cheers Cathey
Attachments
1853 Variation with double sword not at base of hilt.png
1853 Variation with double sword not at base of hilt.png (184.95 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Brimage

Return to Antique Swords