Sword maintenance and care advice

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Sword maintenance and care advice

Postby Thomas » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi, I admit I'm completely new to antique swords. Having bought one for work I want to keep it in the best shape possible so any advice on how to properly clean, polish and generally maintain would be much appreciated.

Likewise if you have any idea on the provenance and identification of the sword that would be great. Thanks!
Attachments
20180701_204253.jpg
20180701_204057.jpg
20180701_204040.jpg
20180701_204015.jpg
20180701_203940.jpg
Thomas

Re: Sword maintenance and care advice

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 am

Hello Thomas, welcome to the forum and the world of sword collecting.

First off, cleaning of swords has always been the subject of much debate amongst the sword collecting community - some people will leave a sword in exactly the state it came to them whilst others will clean and polish until it looks like the day it was made. For myself and I think the majority of collectors, the answer lies somewhere between the two extremes. So this is what I do:

Steel or iron parts I clean with 'Solvol Autosol' (a car polish) using either a soft cloth or if the metal is badly stained or rusted, then fine steel wool.

Brass components I will generally leave as is but if particularly dirty, a very gentle clean as before - I prefer the look patinated brass to bright brass

Any gilt component (generally over brass or copper), again I generally leave as found although I might clean with white spirit and a soft cloth if particularly dirty. However, one must be very careful as gilding is extremely fragile and its all too easy to clean it away completely.

Blue and gilt work on a blade, again leave well alone except maybe a dab over with white spirit.

For any leather parts, I use a proprietary leather balm just to soften and refresh

Once clean, I protect all metal parts with a covering of 'Renaissance Wax', which is again a proprietary product.

So that's it, but you can be sure that other people will have different opinions and use different products.

As to your sword, obviously a Naval officer's, 1846 pattern I think but others I'm sure can tell you more. The owner's initials on the guard look to me like W T C - so time to start trawling through Navy Lists ....

Good luck

Richard

PS, I would leave all the brass parts of your sword 'as is' - they have a nice patina
Richard

Postby sword335 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 am

Everything Richard says is spot on. However,
Solvol Autosol is a chrome cleaner, not a car polish. You can get it from Halfords or any car accessory shop. Don’t use car wax.
You say you bought the sword for work. Can I ask what you do because if you are a serving Naval Officer the sword will need to be to parade standard which is not the same as most collectors would want on an antique sword.

Chris.
sword335

Postby Thomas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Richard,

Thank you for such a great and comprehensive reply. I shall start some very light cleaning.

Chris, thanks for your addition, I don't think I will ever be getting it to what might be expected of parade standard so will instead endeavour to keep it in a good collection standard.

Thanks all.

Tom
Thomas

Postby Bryce » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:35 am

G'day Thomas,

As Richard said, your sword is a British naval officer's sword. The proved T proof slug suggests the sword was made by Edward Thurkle between about 1864-1897. Matt Easton has put together a great article on the Thurkle family of sword cutlers here:
http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/antique-s ... s/thurkle/
The initials on the guard could read W T C, but I think it is more likely just W H.
cheers,
Bryce
Bryce

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

Bryce wrote:

The initials on the guard could read W T C, but I think it is more likely just W H.
cheers,
Bryce

I agree Bryce, on closer inspection just W H

Richard
Richard

Return to Antique Swords