Can anyone identify this uniform?

Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Can anyone identify this uniform?

Postby Bryce » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 am

G'day Guys,

I stumbled across this portrait of an officer on the internet. I can't remember where, but I think it may have been the Museum of Scotland? What piqued my interest was the sword he was holding. It is very similar to one of mine, a short, very curved 1796 style with brass hilt and scabbard. My sword is by Osborn and Gunby and although 3/4 of the blade is etched, there are no royal cyphers, coats of arms or crowns. I know in other threads we have shown that an unmarked 1796 style light cavalry sword could have belonged to an officer of just about any branch of the military.

Initially I thought the officer in the portrait may have belonged to the Black Brunswickers, or Prussian Hussars, but I can't find any uniforms that match this one. His shako has a silver death's head badge and some associated writing.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bryce
Attachments
Shako.jpg
Shako.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 183 times
unknown Officer.jpg
Osborn and Gunby Short Sabre.jpg
Bryce

Re: Can anyone identify this uniform?

Postby Bryce » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:49 am

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am leaning towards the Portuguese Cacadores at the moment. The red sash with silver tassels is consistent with the Portuguese army as is the red and gold sword knot. Some Cacadores did wear green jackets, but the deaths head badge on the shako is still a mystery.

Cheers,
Bryce
Bryce

Return to Antique Swords