Moderators: Richard, antiquesword

Postby Doug Reeve » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:30 am

Hi guys just introducing my self- Names Doug and live in Johannesburg South Africa- I only recently started collecting swords - My 12 year old son does sport fencing and I found an old fencing foil for sale from about 1920- from there I started finding more old swords and became fascinated . Finding old swords at reasonable prices in South Africa isn't easy but its fun hunting them down and learning about them . Watching Mats and Holly- Graces you tube stuff has taught me a lot about Brit swords . I have some questions on how far to restore swords ie the small sword I bought the hilt was black but managed to clean it up a bit seems to be silver plated brass or steel not shure then started polishing the blade but stopped it was loosing its patina - I still have a lot to learn -
Ill post a pick of my very modest collection so far been at this about 5 months now - I also have 3 fencing foils from the early 1900s I love small swords but not easy to find here- Other hobbies include sailing, shoooting ((black power ad pcp air rifles mostly ) Model steam boats
Attachments
IMG_1642.JPG
my old swords
Doug Reeve

Re: New member

Postby sword335 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Welcome Doug. Pick of the bunch is your small sword. Looks silver, very probably English. Does it have any hallmarks ?

Chris.
sword335

Postby Doug Reeve » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanx there are no markings on the blade of the small sword just some strange marks on the knuckle bow - No idea what the markings are or where it was made its a bit long for a small sword blade id 860 mm - wish I could find more small swords here
Attachments
IMG_1640.JPG
markings on my small sword
Doug Reeve

Postby Will Mathieson » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Welcome Doug. The small sword of yours is hallmarked and most likely made of sterling or coin silver.
Will Mathieson

Postby Doug Reeve » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:23 pm

The whole hilt silver ? I assumed it was silver plating on brass or steel and didn't want to over polish it- thanx for the info- is it wrong to polish the blades back to super shiny ? - I polished up the police hanger blade but now it looks almost to shiny - not shure how far to go with cleaning up these old swords ?
Doug Reeve

Postby Brian Wolfe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Welcome to the forum Doug, good to have another "new" member.
I'm sure you will never regret coming aboard, lots a great members with amazing amounts of knowledge.
Regards
Brian
Brian Wolfe

Postby sword335 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Those marks are English silver hallmarks. Too polished to read unfortunately. Polish the hilt if you like although they look good slightly patinated. As far as the blade is concerned it’s your sword so clean it as you wish. However, I think you will find that most people here will say
carefully remove any rust and leave it at that. Much better to underclean than overclean. If anyone ever invents spray-on dirt they’ll make a fortune !

Chris.
sword335

Postby Matt Easton » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Welcome to this forum Doug and thanks for following my channel.
Regards,
Matt
Matt Easton

Return to Antique Swords