Light Infantry Officer Sabre

Bryce

Light Infantry Officer Sabre

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:18 am

G'day Guys,
This caught my eye at an auction recently. It is a 1796/1803 style light infantry officer's sabre with strung bugle langets. I have seen a similar sabre marked to the 52nd regiment. As well as the unusual langets it also has "eastern" style scabbard mounts, similar to the ones on some early mamelukes.

Richard, I have a feeling there may have been one of these in that famous Wallis and Wallis? auction catalogue you posted on the old forum. Any chance you could post the photos again?

Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Re: Light Infantry Officer Sabre

Post by Richard » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:52 am

Hi Bryce
Here are photos from the famous W&W sale no. 189
Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:39 pm

G'day Richard,
Thanks for that. There wasn't one the same after all. Any chance you could post the catalogue descriptions as well?
Cheers,
Bryce

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi Bryce
Here you go ...
Richard

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:33 pm

G'day Richard,
Thanks again for that. What an auction that was! Has lot 1146 the 10th hussars sabre with owner's crest and initials ever resurfaced?
Cheers,
Bryce

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi Bryce
I'm not sure whether lot 1046 has ever resurfaced. I do have an example with officer's crest and initials but its not that one. Its a pity W&W didn't say what the initials are.
As you say, it was quite a sale, I believe it was the collection of Derek Spalding who used to work for Peter Dale. Below are a couple more photos. Wallis and Wallis were kings in those days.
Richard

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:45 am

G'day Guys,
Here are a couple of better photos of this sword. The auctioneer's photos weren't very good, so I was hoping it may have been regimentally marked somewhere, but alas no. Frustratingly the sword and scabbard are completely unmarked. I am not too disappointed though because it is an interesting example. The highly curved blade has been service sharpened and is 70cm long and 3.6cm wide at the ricasso. The blade is a little less curved than most of these short, very curved sabres from this period. The false edge at 30cm is unusually long. It weighs 750g and in the hand it feels like a substantial weapon.

The scabbard is also very robust and "business-like". It is wood covered with leather and has robust brass mounts. It must have seen a bit of use because the drag has been completely worn through.

Has anyone come across a scabbard like this on a British sword before? As I said earlier it is similar to some mamelukes I have seen, but were these also leather covered wood?

Cheers,
Bryce

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 am

So no one has come across a scabbard like this before? Why are so many swords of this period not maker marked?
Cheers,
Bryce

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am

Hi Bryce
As you said, the scabbard is very mameluke in style. I have seen similar scabbards on Georgian sabres (for example Waterloo Militia has one right now - 'Georgian Irish Light Cavalry sword') but nothing quite so mameluke-like as yours. But why not?
As to why so many Georgian swords have no maker marking, all I can think of is that such swords were sold by military retailers who specifically requested no maker marking?
Richard

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 pm

G'day Guys,
I came across a British sword with a scabbard that seems to have been constructed the same way as mine. Peter Finer had this sword for sale a few years ago. It has a Persian blade that had been mounted by Prosser (from memory, but I could be wrong). I think the silver fittings had Prosser's registered hall marks.
Cheers,
Bryce