1796 Light Cavalry Officer Pipe-back

Bryce

1796 Light Cavalry Officer Pipe-back

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 pm

G'day Guys,
This took my fancy recently. 1796 Light cavalry officer's sword with a pipe-back blade. The blade is slightly curved, 88.5cm long and 3.6cm wide at the ricasso. Superficially the hilt looks like most other examples of this pattern, with the beak pommel, screw thru the ferule and inset langets, but this one has a more pleasing curve to the pommel, while most other examples have a more "flattish" pommel. Frustratingly the sword is completely unmarked.
Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryce

Re: 1796 Light Cavalry Officer Pipe-back

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:07 pm

G'day Guys,
The earliest versions of this style of hilt seem to have been made by Thomas Gill. Here is one of mine with the extended steel pommel and inset langets, but without the screw thru the ferule, dated 1799. I think the inset langets enable the use of a slim-line scabbard, with the hand protection of a full width guard.
Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:37 am

Bryce I like the back strap ears on this one, adds a couple curves that compliment the pommel.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:32 am

G'day Guys,
I have been pondering 1796 pattern pipe-back officer's swords lately. Although there are plenty of examples around, it seems that there were very few makers actually producing the blades. The most common swords are marked to Prosser or if unmarked, Prosser in style. Virtually all of the rest are marked to various cutlers who wouldn't have made their own blades. There is the occasional Gill and I have seen one by Osborn and Gunby, but I have never seen one by Woolley and there are also a few early Solingen (Runkel?) examples.

Did Prosser almost have a monopoly on pipe-backs at this time?

A nice early pipe-back by Wilkes sold at auction last night. Anybody here get it? I have seen 5 early pipe-backs with the Pre-1801 coat of arms with this same blade profile where the pipe isn't carried thru to the point. Was this the original British pipe-back design?
Cheers,
Bryce

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Bryce

Wilkes is a rare maker - not in Southwick but he is listed in Holden's London Directory for 1799: James Wilkes, 21 St. James's St., Gun maker and sword cutler [Sword Cutlers in the London Trade Directories 1736-1811 by David Wright, JAAS ...]

Here's another early pipe-back by Robert Foster

Richard

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks Richard,

Was that a Solingen blade on the Foster sword? Being a gun maker would Wilkes have made his own blades? Here is an early 1803 by Dean with a Solingen blade of the same type.
Cheers,
Bryce

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 pm
Thanks Richard,

Was that a Solingen blade on the Foster sword? Being a gun maker would Wilkes have made his own blades? Here is an early 1803 by Dean with a Solingen blade of the same type.
Cheers,
Bryce
Hi Bryce
Neither the Wilkes blade nor the Foster blade look Solingen made to me.
Richard