1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer Undress Sword Variants

Bryce

1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer Undress Sword Variants

Post by Bryce » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:13 pm

G'day Guys,

Saw this one on an auction site recently. I didn't buy it. It was in Portugal, so perhaps it is Portuguese? Looks like it may have some sort of insignia built into the guard.

Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Re: 1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer Undress Sword Variants

Post by Will » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:17 am

This painting shows two officers and a troopers 1796 of the 2nd Royal North Dragoons 1816
https://www.rct.uk/collection/915029/of ... goons-1816

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:34 am

G'day Will,
The mounted officer's sword looks a lot like a celtic hilt.
Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Post by Will » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:27 am

Yes it does look like a Celtic sword hilt. The site has many paintings showing swords. The 7th Light Dragoons portrait has a wicked looking blade, not sure if this is artistic license or a real blade.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm

G'day Guys,
Here are a few variations from my collection.
Cheers,
Bryce

Will

Post by Will » Wed May 01, 2019 2:32 am

Bryce you have some very nice 1796's, don't see them much anymore. I have one with a narrow quillion like yours in the first photo far left. Is there a makers name on yours? I aded the Scots sword knot for fun but understand that these are difficult to come by.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 am

G'day Will,
That sword is unmarked, but has a G stamp on the ricasso. It is also identical to one which I have seen marked to Osborn, so I am confident it is also by Osborn. Yours looks very similar to Richard's Francis Hugonin? sword which I think was by Woolley.
Cheers,
Bryce

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 am

Left to right:
Sword of Lt Abraham Ludlow, 2Ds, by Egg
Sword of Gen Francis Hugonin, 4Ds, by Woolley
Sword of Lt Gen David Home, 2Ds, by Johnston
Sword of Lt Col Fiennes Miller, 6Ds, no name but blade by Runkel.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 02, 2019 1:42 am

G'day Richard,
That is an awesome collection of ladder hilts!

Will,
The sword in the illustration of the 7th light dragoon officer looks to be a mameluke judging by the scabbard. It could be an indo-persian blade that has been re-hilted (see below) on possibly just a normal Prosser type blade with a yelman.
Cheers,
Bryce

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 am

G'day Guys,

One style of ladder hilt that is often encountered is this one. It has an asymmetrical guard with four "honeysuckles" on the right side and three on the left. Also it has four cut-outs on the knuckle bow consisting of three trapezoids and a triangle. The quillon is the "rolled" type. At the junction of the knuckle bow and guard there is a bouquet of foliage flanked either side by spirals. Lastly there are three "tendrils" that erupt from the spirals either side of the bouquet, rather than the usual two. These five design elements are what distinguish this particular type of ladder hilt from others.

I know that it is dangerous to link a maker to a certain hilt style. There is a lot of variation in officers' swords made by the same maker and often different makers incorporated the same design elements into their own swords, but this particular design seems to be associated with Osborn. All of the examples I have seen are either marked to Osborn, Osborn and Gunby or are unmarked with G stamps. The other thing that distinguishes Osborn's ladder hilts from some others is that they are very well finished, with precise edges. Some others look a little rough. Here are some photos that I hope make my confusing descriptions above a little clearer.

Cheers,
Bryce

PS Osborn also made many other different styles of ladder hilt as well.