Unknown Sabre help requested

RGJDEE

Unknown Sabre help requested

Post by RGJDEE » Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Can anyone help identify this piece ?
Thanks in advance , Richard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryce

Re: Unknown Sabre help requested

Post by Bryce » Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 pm

G'day Richard,
Looks Indian to me.
Cheers,
Bryce

RGJDEE

Post by RGJDEE » Sat May 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks again Bryce, I have it on good advice that’s it’s a transitional Indian Army Native Cavalry Sabre.( Tulwar type blade & P1821 Light Cavalry 3bar hilt with wooden grip)
😀

Gordon K. Byrne

Post by Gordon K. Byrne » Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 am

Hi Richard,

In my view definitely Indian Army however, I don't think transitional is the best description. There was a period when Indian Cavalry troopers could carry swords of there own choice, and the sword itself would be a good example of type; Indian blade mounted with a locally produced Light Cavalry pattern hilt, and with a plain wooden grip which was popular; the plain back-piece with a sloped pommel, and exposed tang button, are all very much like those on some other Indian Cavalry swords 1860s-1870s. However, the relatively poor quality of the scabbard locket may be indicative of much later production, or a replacement locket or scabbard.

Gordon

RGJDEE

Post by RGJDEE » Sun May 12, 2019 12:55 am

Thanks Gordon,
The Locket I had noticed as being ‘ lightweight’!
Blade is sharpened and has nicks etc. Hilt bar is mis- shapen/ bent.I had thought initially on first viewit was a wall hanger.I think it’s certainly been made for service. Do you think the Scabbard would originally had a brass chape ?
Regards Richard.