S98/05 Butcher Bayonet with Sawback - Unknown Mark

James B

S98/05 Butcher Bayonet with Sawback - Unknown Mark

Post by James B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Hello again,

I recently acquired a nice, clean example of this rather vicious WWI bayonet.

It is Mauser made and came with it's original Mauser scabbard and frog.

Upon further inspection I noticed it has an 'N' stamped on the top side of the the guard. I have seen German naval weapons with an 'N' stamped on them before which denotes they were used within a 'Nordsee' region/base could this be the same for this infantry bayonet (possibly an infantry detachment)?

Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance,

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Re: S98/05 Butcher Bayonet with Sawback - Unknown Mark

Post by Will » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Bayonets are not this forums specialty. I do have a 1871p German Hirschfanger bayonet marked to the North Sea fleet but the N is much larger and prefix to its serial number. Navy has marines not infantry detachments but when using the same rifle the same bayonet usually provided except for British 1859p cutlass bayonet.

James B

Post by James B » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi Will,

Thanks for your quick response.

Do you have any idea at all as to what the 'N' could stand for?

Thanks,

Will

Post by Will » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:55 pm

No idea what the N represents, maybe an obscure inspection marking? There are reference books just on this pattern of bayonet that may have answers.
I would look on Abebooks.com, Ebay etc. and try finding references as they are not online. Possibly German bayonet forum or website would go into such details.