Cragside

Chris A

Cragside

Post by Chris A » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:44 pm

D2636400-0E3D-4E4F-9575-06184722E167.jpeg
I was up in Northumberland last week and visited Cragside, a fantastic National Trust house built by Lord Armstrong, a great Victorian industrialist. It was the first house in the world with lighting powered by hydroelectricity and has many other advanced gadgets and also superb grounds.
Imagine my surprise when I first entered the house and saw high up on the wall some swords around a Persian shield. Two of the swords were the extremely rare late 18th Century 15th Light Dragoon’s sabres. Just look on M.D.Long’s website and see how much he wants for one ! I continued round the house and then came to the Armoury (which I didn’t know existed). There we’re three more of the 15th L.D. swords there and in a glazed cabinet high up on the wall a 1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer’s sword with the finest condition blue and gilt blade I’ve ever seen ! I was up in Northumberland last week and visited Cragside, a fantastic National Trust house built by Lord Armstrong, a great Victorian industrialist. It was the first house in the world with lighting powered by hydroelectricity and has many other advanced gadgets and also superb grounds.
Imagine my surprise when I first entered the house and saw high up on the wall some swords around a Persian shield. Two of the swords were two extremely rare late 18th Century 15th Light Dragoon’s sabres. Just look on M.D.Long’s website and see how much he wants for one ! I continued round the house and then came to the Armoury (which I didn’t know existed). There we’re three more of the 15th L.D. swords there and in a glazed cabinet high up on the wall a 1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer’s sword with the finest condition blue and gilt blade I’ve ever seen !
There’s lots more to see in the Armoury so if you’re ever in the area. Cragside is well worth a visit. I’ve added some images. Not very good but not easy when a sword is above your head behind glass.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Re: Cragside

Post by Will » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Chris that's a wonderful find. I hope the swords behind the shield do not have cut or altered blades as a method of affixing them. The one basket hilt seems to have an extremely long blade.

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Will,
These were the first two I saw which are O K. I did wonder if there was a pile of scabbards somewhere but my time was limited and there was no one around to speak to.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Post by Will » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 pm

I think proximity to the ceiling has prevented the swords from growing legs! Good to see them with complete blades.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks Chris,
I may be up that way in January. Might have to drop in for a look.
I don't get the crazy price for that 15th LD sword. They may be rare, but why are they desirable? I think you could do a lot better for that sort of money.
Cheers,
Bryce

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am

That’s why he hasn’t sold it !

David C

Post by David C » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:54 pm

A couple of pre 1804 cutlasses behind the shield too by the look of things

Chris A

Post by Chris A » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Great senior moment ! These swords are NOT at Cragside but at Bamburgh Castle just a few miles away. Both are well worth a visit.
I’m now off to change my forum name !