Sword Knot

Will

Sword Knot

Post by Will » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:49 am

The knot has metal threads etc and with the top portion slid up reveals a small button for the ribbon to detach/attach.
Robsons lists general officers, heavy cavalry etc. but no photos that could show details for different time periods. The knot is in very good condition and I believe over a century old at least.
Any help with identification for its time period and correct type swords is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Re: Sword Knot

Post by Richard » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:45 am

Hi Will
I am unable to assist much regarding the sword knot you have posted other than to say it looks Victorian (not much help and I don't know on what basis I am saying that other than the lace strap looks similar to the Life Guards knot below). However, I just wanted to say that this is an excellent subject to raise. We know so little about sword knots so I hope members will post more examples. Without wishing to highjack your thread, here are a couple of examples from Georgian swords which can positively be dated to the period 1798 - 1815 + a Victorian Life Guards knot from the 1830s.
Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David C

Re: Sword Knot

Post by David C » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:12 pm

The only info I have ever found on British sword knots is in Annis and May vol.2 page 373 which only really suggests flat loose tassels are earlier than the rounder shapes. I assume the Navy were behind the army in introducing new styles, as they tended to pay catch up where sword fashions were concerned.