Hilt Liners, Photos?

Will

Hilt Liners, Photos?

Post by Will » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:50 pm

I came across this Scots Guard sword photo with hilt liner. Does anyone have period photos showing these in use? Also interested in hilt liners not typically associated with some patterns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John H

Re: Hilt Liners, Photos?

Post by John H » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:09 am

Hi Will,

This is one of two 1854 Pattern steel hilt swords I have to Col. CED Branson of 29th Bengal Native Infantry. The Wilkinson proof book describes it as an "Indian Liner": it's made of black japanned steel and I imagine would have been very effective!

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:07 am

Will

4 leather liners below (1796HC x 3 + a Celtic hilt)

John

That's a really interesting steel liner.

Richard

Will

Post by Will » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Thank-you John and Richard interesting to see the shape and method of attachment. In the past I obtained some good buff leather from the Identity Store and made a few liners. I see some did not continue to the pommel. They do make perforated guards stand out. I found I must treat the new liners or they tend to rust the guards.
John I have a similar sword with steel guard and patent hilt but no steel liner, used by an officer serving in Afghanistan. I would assume hand injuries were the reason behind these steel liners and would reflect the type of bladed weapons the Indians used.
Richard the one Scottish sword pictured has a liner with a sewn hem, is it two pieces or would it have had a blue ribbon edging?

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 am

Will wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Richard the one Scottish sword pictured has a liner with a sewn hem, is it two pieces or would it have had a blue ribbon edging?
Will

I think the liner with the sewn hem is two pieces, i.e. an inner layer and an outer layer

Richard

PS, the sword a 1796 HC officer, not Scottish in particular