1821 Light Cavalry Officer Sword

Bryce

1821 Light Cavalry Officer Sword

Post by Bryce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:18 pm

G'day Guys,

This caught my eye recently. It is an 1821 light cavalry officer's sword attributed to Edward Leyborne Popham who won the DSO in 1917. What caught my eye is that it looks much earlier than the late Victorian period it was attributed to. I seem to have a soft spot for these earlier 1821's. There is no maker mark, but the grip and etching style suggests 1850 - 1865 to me. The initials ELP are etched on the blade and it has been sharpened. ELP is an uncommon set of initials and looking thru the army lists for this time period only throws up one name, Edward Lavallin Puxley, who served with the 4th light dragoons in Crimea. I immediately started thinking charge of the light brigade, but unfortunately Puxley joined just after the charge. He sold out of the army after Crimea and became a Christian missionary in India. His short service would explain the very good condition of the blade. Perhaps Puxley is one of the two young officers in the back of this photo of the 4th LD officers in Crimea taken by Roger Fenton.

What do you guys think, am I on the right track?

Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will

Re: 1821 Light Cavalry Officer Sword

Post by Will » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:03 am

Bryce I've seen that sword for some time now and I believe you're on the right track. The price was right!
Too bad research shows he was not a charger, still a nice Crimean sword.

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm

He must have been pretty old in 1917 when he won a DSO?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 am

G'day Guys,
The sword arrived today. The scabbard and hilt have been pitted and heavily cleaned in the past, but the blade is in beautiful condition. I have laid it side by side with my Wilkinson pre-numbering 1821 and they are very similar with the same blade dimesions of 32mm * 900mm, but the ELP sword is slightly more curved. No maker mark, but a Proved over Fleur-de-lis slug. The etching is good quality, but not quite as detailed as Wilkinson. Below are some shots of the ELP sword beside the Wilkinson for comparison. ELP on the left and Wilkinson on the right.
Cheers,
Bryce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm

G'day Guys,

Although it has no maker's mark, the proof slug on the ELP sword is identical to that used by Reeves, Greaves and Co. Reeves, Greaves and Co. were in business in the early 1850's, so this would tie in perfectly with the Edward Lavallin Puxley attribution.
Cheers,
Bryce

Will

Post by Will » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 pm

I agree with Bryce, I have a Reeves and Greaves with identical proof slug and it is etched with their names.