60th Regt Kings Royal Rifle Short Mameluke Sword

Brimage

60th Regt Kings Royal Rifle Short Mameluke Sword

Post by Brimage » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:34 am

Hi Guys
We picked this up at a recent gun show and really don’t know what it actually is, other than the regiment. The strangest thing is the small hole in the end of the pommel. At first I thought perhaps a chain had been attached here, but there is no corresponding hole or loop at the end of the cross guard. Another suggestion has been that perhaps a loop for a sword knot was attached to the pommel or some sort of extended decoration attached.

It is an odd thing and I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on what it actually is, age etc.

Nationality British
Date c1800
Maker/Retailer unknown
Overall Length In Scabbard 30 2/8” 76.5 cm Sword only 29 ¾” 75.3cm
Blade length 24” 61 cm
Blade widest point 1” 2.5 cm
Hilt widest point 5 ¼” 13.2 cm
Inside grip length 4” 10.2 cm

Marks, etc. Bugle in Floral Wreath on one side of cross guard, 60 in floral Wreath on the other side of cross guard. B.G. over 22 on one side of throat, 3 over 20 over 55 on frog. Stand of Arms on Drag.

General Description
60th Regt Kings Royal Rifle NCO Sword
Mameluke sword engraved with Bugle in Floral Wreath on one side of cross guard, 60 in floral Wreath on the other side of cross guard. B.G. over 22 on one side of scabbard throat, 3 over 20 over 55 on frog. Stand of Arms on Drag. Black leather scabbard with steel mounts. The hilt has a beaked appearance with a strange hole in the end of the pommel. The grip is wood with no leather remaining.

Cheers Cathey and Rex Brimage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris A

Re: 60th Regt Kings Royal Rifle Short Mameluke Sword

Post by Chris A » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi Cathey and Rex,
Nice to hear from you.
I can’t come up with anything about your mystery hole. I would think what you have is either a band sword or an N.C.O’s hanger. However the blade appears to be the same as that found on police hangers (it’s also exactly the same length) so I would date it to mid-Victorian times rather than Georgian.

Chris.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi Cathey
My first thought was also Victorian band sword but I don’t know where I got that from! The hole in the pommel might possibly be from a previous display? i.e. to sit the sword on a hook or bracket ....
Richard

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:25 pm

G'day Cathey,

A very similar sword was identified as a King's Royal Rifle Corp band sword from the 1850's over at Sword Forum International.

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showthrea ... t-this-one

I think this is the same sword shown in the SFI thread with better photos.

http://www.sailorinsaddle.com/product.aspx?id=1077

Cheers,
Bryce

Brimage

Post by Brimage » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:49 am

Hi Guys and special thanks to Bryce.

Reading through the Sword forum thread I can see that Robert Wilkinson Latham having heard from his contact at the The Royal Green Jackets Museum has confirmed that this sword is a KRRC 60th Bandsman's sword 1840's, 1850's.

I have sent a PM to Dmitry to ask if his example also has the strange hole in the pommel.

Cheers Cathey

Will

Post by Will » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm

The hole could be from the manufacturing process when casting the part? That way it would not have a solid heavy pommel. Or a place for hot air/gasses to escape when the iron is poured?